No one likes to be the new kid in school but local school districts do their best to help incoming students adjust. Accordingly, this week new students from East Lyme, Old Lyme, and Lyme will be the center of attention.
School begins again on August 28 for students attending East Lyme schools and the school district is holding a number of events this week to give new students and their parents a feel for the schools they'll be entering.
- On August 21, there will be a 9th Grade and New Student orientation at East Lyme High School from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- On August 22, East Lyme Middle School welcomes new students entering grades 5-8 with a picnic from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- To help parents get a handle on what to expect as their kids enter high school, there will also be a 9th grade and new student parent orientation at 6:30 p.m. at East Lyme High School.
The first day of school for the Lyme-Old Lyme school district is August 29. New students will be able to register for Lyme-Old Lyme Public Schools August 21 through August 23, depending on the school. Registration is by appointment only.
Registration forms/packets are available online. To speed up the process, the school district requests that parents please try to complete the forms prior to their appointment. Parents should also call the appropriate school directly to schedule an appointment. Registration will be held at the following schools during the times and dates indicated below.
- Lyme-Old Lyme High School (860-434-2255) Grades 9-12: August 22 & 23, 2012, with appointments beginning at 9:00 a.m. Please note that registration materials may also be dropped off at the high school any time prior to the above listed registration dates.
- Lyme-Old Lyme Middle School (860-434-2568) Grades 6-8: August 21, 22, & 23, 2012, with appointments beginning at 9:00 a.m.
- Lyme Consolidated School (860-434-1233) Grades K-5: Please call for dates and times.
- Center School (860-434-7838) Grades 3-5: August 21 & 22, 2012, with appointments beginning at 9:00 a.m.
- Mile Creek School (860-434-2209): Grades K-2: August 21 & 22, 2012, with appointments beginning at 9:00 a.m.
Please Note: A birth certificate must be presented for all new students. Parents should have academic and health records forwarded from the previous school, so the records are on file at the appropriate school for registration.