1. Today may start out cloudy but there should be plenty of sunshine too, with a high temperature of 53 degrees and an overnight low of 37 degrees. There's just a 20 percent chance of rain during the day and a 10 percent chance of rain tonight, according to weather.com.
2. The Friends of Oswegatchie Hills Nature Preserve was presented with the "Selected Organization Award" at the annual Connecticut Recreation and Parks Association Conference on Tuesday, November 20.
"The East Lyme Parks and Recreation Department truly appreciates the hard work and dedication this group of volunteers put forth to maintain the preserve for all to enjoy," the town notes on its web site.
"For those who have yet to discover this awesome place, we highly encourage you to bring family, friends, and leashed pets for a hike along the well kept trails. The partnership between the Friends of Oswegatchie Hills Nature Preserve and the Town of East Lyme has made a significant impact on our community. The continued preservation of 400+ acres of this environmentally sensitive area which includes the Niantic River and Clarks pond, two important water resources, goes above and beyond your normal commitment from a 'friends group.'"
3. For many people, Macy's Parade and football are as much a part of the Thanksgiving tradition as turkey and pumpkin pie, and that's certainly true for East Lyme, which will play its traditional Thanksgiving Day game against Waterford this morning.
As East Lyme High School's new athletic field is not quite ready for prime time, this year's game will be played at Waterford High School's new football field. If you go to the game, post pictures on Patch! Go Vikings!
4. If Black Friday is your favorite day to shop for bargains, you'll be thrilled to know that many of the doorbusters are going on sale even earlier this year, starting at many of the big box stores as early as 8 p.m. tonight. Tanger Outlets in Westbrook opens at 10 p.m. today and Crystal Mall in Waterford opens at midnight.
You'll find an article with all the details and a list of some of this season's best buys on Patch at 5 p.m. today, at which point I figure you should be emerging from that turkey coma.
5. State Police will be out in force all through the weekend, with roving patrols and sobriety checks, so resist the urge to have one for the road and stay safe. Most importantly, remember everything we have to be thankful for today! Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!