1. Whatever snow or ice accumulated last night should melt pretty quickly today. Weather.com is predicting a mostly sunny day with a high of 42 degrees and a clear night with an overnight low of 29 degrees.
2. In case you missed it, there was yet another burglary reported in Lyme on Friday. That brings the total so far to four since February 4.
3. How would you like to see the 200-acres of open space be used at East Lyme's Darrow Pond? The Darrow Pond Open Space Committee will hold a Public Hearing tonight at 7:00 p.m., at East Lyme Town Hall to give the public an opportunity to put forward ideas. The Committee is seeking comment regarding recommendations for land uses to be written into the Conservation easement. The property, which is owned by the Town of East Lyme, is located at 16 Mostowy Road, East Lyme.
4. Sound View Commission meets at 7:30 p.m. in the second floor conference room at Old Lyme Town Hall. The Commission will be giving an update on the improvements planned for the town's beach area—which include new bathrooms, a bike path, a picnic area, and parking kiosks—now that a grant has been approved to fund the lion's share of the project.
The Commission's parking subcommittee will also be discussing plans for parking. The goal is to avoid a repeat of the controversy that erupted over parking fees last summer.
5. Did you know that East Lyme's Zoning Commission Chairman Marc Salerno spends winter weekends making maple syrup? You can find out more about how he does it here. The article is the first in what I hope will be a continuing series of profiles of people well-known for doing one thing who have unique hobbies or talents that most people don't know about. I'm calling it "The Secret Passion Of ..." If you know someone who fits the bill, please let me know!