The Daily Five: MLK Closings, Gun Owners Rally, One Million Moms March

Five things to know for East Lyme, Old Lyme, and Lyme on Monday, January 21, 2013.

1. Today will be mostly cloudy with snow showers likely this afternoon. Weather.com is predicting a high temperature of just 31 degrees and an overnight low of 23 degrees, with a 40 percent chance of snow increasing to 60 percent this evening. 

2. Federal, state, and local government offices, including the post office, , as are schools. Many businesses, however, remain open. 

3. Niantic and East Lyme restaurants are kicking off restaurant week with special menus and discount prices all week long. If you're looking for a good reason to eat out and avoid doing the dishes, this is it!

4. Town meetings are cancelled today in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. That includes the Old Lyme Board of Selectmen meeting that would normally be held tonight. The regular meeting is rescheduled for Tuesday. 

5. On Saturday, hundreds of people rallied in support of Second Amendment gun rights in Hartford. Today, thousands more are expected to rally in New York as part of the "Millions Moms March" in support of gun control. These rallies are all in response to the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting that rocked the nation in December as lawmakers grapple with ways to balance Constitutional rights with new efforts to try to prevent such tragedies from happening in the future. 


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »