1. We should have a mostly sunny day and a clear night, although it's going to be cold with a high temperature of just 33 degrees and an overnight low of 18 degrees, according to weather.com.
2. It's back to business today, starting at 8 a.m. when the Old Lyme Economic Development Commission will meet to discuss real estate news and development around the region. There's been a lot of activity in Old Lyme of late, with the sale of a number of million-dollar homes selling in December and a number of properties slated for business development, including a new health center planned by Lawrence & Memorial Hospital for Old Lyme.
3. The Economic and Development Commission will also be hearing progress reports on the hiking and biking trail and there will be discussions of Soundview development plans and plans for the skating rink in the Hatchett's Hill area. The commission will hear updates on how the town and the beach areas are recovering from Superstorm Sandy and First Selectwoman Bonnie Reemsnyder will give an update on sidewalk upgrades for Halls Road. The meeting will be held at Old Lyme Memorial Town Hall.
4. East Lyme's Board of Selectmen will meet tonight at East Lyme Town Hall at 7:30 p.m. There are not a lot of big items on the agenda but there will be continued discussion of a potential noise ordinance. At the last meeting, First Selectman Paul Formica said that in 2012 police responded to about 6 to 10 incidents involving noise complaints. Currently, the town has no specific noise ordinance nor does the police department have a decibel meter to measure sound levels when they are called to investigate complaints.
5. Coffee lovers will be pleased to hear that Ashlawn Farm's Cafe on Bill Hill Road in Lyme will be open again for business this morning after closing for the holiday week. Stopping in for a coffee in the morning is so much a part of everyone's normal routine in Lyme that the small cafe is sure to be busy today.