The Daily Five is Patch's regular morning column that tells you five things you need to know, all before breakfast!
1. We're likely to see a few more thunderstorms today. Weather.com is predicting isolated thunderstorms both during the day and into the evening. You can expect a day of partly cloudy, partly sunny skies, with a high temperature of 79 degrees and an overnight low of 68 degrees. There's a 30 percent chance of rain.
2. After meeting in executive session last night, the Old Lyme Board of Selectmen voted to authorize a consent agreement in the case of Anderson vs. Old Lyme. Under the agreement, the town's Planning and Zoning Commission will no longer require seasonal homes to register with the town.
It's kind of a moot point, seeing as Planning & Zoning has already scrapped that particular regulation but it does resolve the lawsuit. As part of the agreement, the town will foot the bill for $145,000 in attorney's fees.
Although the registry is no more, seasonal homes will still be subject to town and state health, sanitation, building, and safety regulations and must be up to code in order for people to live in them—which may still present a challenge to those who want to live in them year-round.
3. Happy 90th Birthday! The is hosting a birthday party at noon today to celebrate the birthdays of Lyme and Old Lyme residents who are turning 90 this year. That's an awful lot of candles to blow out but the Senior Center is expecting quite a few celebrants, so collectively I'm sure they'll be able to get the job done. Make this wish a good one!
4. The Lyme-Old Lyme Board of Education meets tonight at the at 6:30 p.m. There are a number of items on the agenda but the one that might interest parents the most is a proposal to raise the price of school lunches. The meeting opens with public comment so if you've got something to say, get there on time.
5. Today is the last day to pay taxes without penalty. As death and taxes are two things that none of us can avoid, if you've not paid your car or property tax yet, now would be the time to do it!
Got a news tip? Let me know! I'm aways available at Jayne.Keedle@Patch.com. If you want to make an announcement or let people know about a fabulous event you're planning, you don't have to go through me to do it. Just post it on Patch! It's easy and it's free! If you have something to say that you want to share with friends and neighbors, blog about it in our local voices section.