1. Weather.com is predicting early morning snow showers that should end by noon, then partly cloudy skies and a clear night. Today's high temperature is expected to be about 40 degrees with an overnight low of 19 degrees.
2. East Lyme native Glenn Landers will be appearing at a press conference today at 11 a.m. at Gaylord Speciality Healthcare, a long-term acute care hospital in Wallingford that specializes in the care and treatment of people with medically complex and intensive rehabilitation issues.
Gaylord is unveiling its new Early Ambulation Program and , will be demonstrating the benefits of transport ventilators. The transport ventilators make it possible for vent-dependent patients who are otherwise bed-ridden or reliant on a wheelchair, to get up, go outside for a walk, and begin the therapeutic rehabilitation process necessary for healing and independence.
Flight Medical has chosen Gaylord as its test and research site to develop new, more sophisticated software for the portable ventilator, and a prototype ambulation walker. Landers, 55, will talk about how this equipment is helping his rehabilitation following the trampoline accident that left him paralyzed last year.
3. The Lyme-Old Lyme Board of Education will meet tonight at 6:30 p.m. at the Lyme-Old Lyme Middle School Cafeteria. The board is expected to take action on a variety of items under new business, including setting the 2013-2014 School Calendar, a proposal for Teacher Evaluation Professional Development, and the purchase of security cameras for the schools. The board will also continue its discussions on the proposed school budget.
4. East Lyme Board of Selectmen will be tackling a boatload of new business at tonight's meeting, including but not limited to ratifying the long-negotiated Council 4 union contract, reviewing the budget for the Niantic and Flanders Fire Departments and Emergency Management/Dispatch, and discussing the possibility of a regional dispatch center.
5. This adorable pit bull pup was found wandering around South Cobbler Court in Niantic on Monday. She's currently at the Waterford-East Lyme Animal Control shelter waiting for her rightful owners to claim her. She has no collar, tags, or microchip, so if you recognize her, please get in touch with the Animal Control officer.