1. It's going to be partly cloudy, partly sunny today with a high temperature of 84 degrees and an overnight low of 70 degrees, according to Weather.com. There's only a slight chance (10 percent) for rain during the day, although there's a 30 percent chance for rain this evening.
2. In case you missed the signs, today is Primary Election day! Local interest in this election is running high because East Lyme has a horse in the race. First Selectman in the primary. The winner will run against Democratic incumbent Congressman Joe Courtney (2nd District) in November.
"I think [Formica] brings an awful lot to the table both as a first selectman and as a businessman and a job creator, and that’s something neither of his opponents have," said East Lyme Selectwoman Holly Cheeseman, who is chair of the Republican Town Committee. "Paul has a unique set of talents and I look forward to the rest of the district learning more about him."
3. If you're registered as a Republican or a Democrat, you can . Polls open at 6 a.m. and close at 8 p.m. Here are the local polling sites:
- Lyme Fire House, 213 Hamburg Road, Lyme
- Cross Lane Fire House, Cross Lane (off Route. 156), Old Lyme
- East Lyme Community Center, 41 Society Road, Niantic
4. The have many local residents feeling unsettled and also, perhaps, a tad frustrated as burglaries are crimes that so often seem to go unsolved. Local police, however, have had some success making theft-related arrests in the past and the evidence of that is in New London Superior Court today.
Waylon Verley, who faces charges related to burglaries committed in Old Lyme, will be in court today for a pre-trial hearing as will Antone Wagner, who is accused of an assault and robbery that happened in Lyme. Andrew Saunders, who also faces charges stemming from the same Lyme assault and robbery case, will have his pre-trial hearing on Wednesday.
5. Can't wait to find out who won the election? With Patch, you don't have to! We'll be posting results as fast as we can type this evening, so check back with Patch after the polls close! If you're a friend on Facebook, I'll be posting results there and I'll tweet them for our friends on Twitter too! If you're an early-to-bed sort of person, sign up for our free newsletter and you'll get breaking news and have the results in your email when you wake up!