As of 1 p.m., most homes in East Lyme, Old Lyme and Lyme had power but an issue with the power lines on Blood Street in Lyme kept 125 people in the dark. That's about 9 percent of Connecticut Light and Power customers in Lyme. CL&P worked on the problem, however, and by 4:30 p.m. just two customers were without power.
In East Lyme, nine customers were without power as of 4:30 p.m. and in Old Lyme, just two are waiting for power to be restored. If you have a power outage, don't assume that CL&P is aware of the problem. You must contact CL&P and report it online or by calling 1-800-286-2000.
The Red Cross Regional Emergency Shelter at East Lyme Middle School is now closed but the Lymes' Senior Center on Town Woods Road in Old Lyme remains open today until 9 p.m. as a respite center for people who need a place to warm up, have a hot meal or recharge their electronic equipment.
Closings and Cancellations
- Lyme-Old Lyme Board of Education has decided to postpone the budget forum originally scheduled for tonight at Lyme-Old Lyme Middle School. The new date has not yet been announced.
- The Old Lyme Zoning Commission meeting tonight has been canceled.
- The Old Lyme Board of Selectmen's special meeting that was to be held before the regularly scheduled meeting this evening has been canceled but as of now, the Board of Selectmen still plan to hold the regular Monday meeting at 7:30 p.m.
- East Lyme decided not to pick up garbage today as originally planned. Old Lyme also did not pick up garbage today and the transfer station is closed.
- Ashlawn Farm Roastery and Cafe on Bill Hill Road in Lyme is closed today because most people can't make it to work and the farm is still digging out from under. Online orders will be retrieved today but the roastery won't be up and running again until tomorrow.
East Lyme, Old Lyme, and Lyme continue to work on clearing roads.
Old Lyme reports that town crews, as well as contractors, are continuing to plow and open roadways, as well as keeping drains clear to handle the precipitation. Teams comprised of backhoes, bucket loaders and town plow trucks return to work in the areas of Shore Road, Rogers Lake and Mile Creek.
Roadway flooding is anticipated in Old Lyme, however, so please be aware of potential flooding conditions. If your street is still blocked by snow or flooding please contact the Old Lyme EOC Call Center at 860-598-0120.
Most roads in Lyme are clear, although some are very narrow in places, but pooling is a concern, particularly if temperatures drop to freezing.
Currently the forecast shows temperatures remaining in the 40s until the wee hours of the morning. The National Weather Service has issued a dense fog alert for our area until midnight, however.
Roof and Structure Safety
As the rain continues, be aware that the increased weight of rain along with snow will increase the risk of structural collapse. Clearing snow off roofs and assisting proper drainage will help reduce the weight accumulation.
Be sure to clear a path to your oil fill pipes for oil delivery, and it is important that you clear around vents from your house that are blocked by snow. Blocked vents create a significant risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. Residents using generators or supplemental heating devices need to make sure they are also correctly ventilated outside of the home.
This report includes the latest update from the Town of Old Lyme EOC.