1. Today should be mostly sunny until the afternoon when a few clouds will start to roll in. The high temperature will peak at around 41 degrees, according to weather.com, and drop to 28 degrees overnight. But brace yourself, because there's 90 percent chance of snow tonight, with a total accumulation of 1 to 3 inches predicted by tomorrow morning.
2. East Lyme students will be back in school today, as will students from Lyme and Old Lyme. The Lyme-Old Lyme school district, however, will have two-hour delayed opening this morning.
Please tell your kids to stand somewhere safe as they're waiting for the school bus and to wait until the bus has come to a complete stop before approaching it. Make sure they bundle up too (even though most kids won't want to!) in case the buses are delayed because of road conditions.
Drivers, please keep an eye out for kids who may be harder to spot if they're standing behind snow banks—or harder to miss if they're standing on a road that doesn't have much clearance.
3. Niantic Rotary Club's local business of the year is Flanders Fish Market & Restaurant. The fact that this local eatery is owned by East Lyme First Selectman Paul Formica had nothing to do with the decision.
Throughout the year, Flanders Fish Market has quietly made donations of food and gift certificates to help out dozens of charities, including but not limited to a generous gift basket for a raffle during the Poker Run for Leukemia and meals for the Red Cross Regional Emergency Shelter in East Lyme.
The Rotary Club's recognition allows Formica to continue giving, because the honor comes with $1,000 to be donated to the worthy cause of his choice. Formica said he plans to start a scholarship fund for students to study the culinary arts.
4. The last update from Old Lyme Emergency Operations Center on Tuesday reports that public works and local contractors are making "significant progress" clearing town roads, the majority of which are open and being widened. Huge piles of snow, however, are obstructing sight lines as they are everywhere else. There was still some roadway flooding in low-lying areas.
Be careful on the roads, as black ice may pose an additional hazard this morning. If your neighborhood has drainage or snow issues, please contact the EOC Call Center at 860-598-0120.
5. Today is your last chance to enter to win our cutest couple contest. All you have to do is upload a photo and you could win dinner for two and a night at the Mohegan Sun hotel!